With the Wedding season almost upon us it is time for many couples to really get stuck into finalising plans for their big day and with all those tasks still yet to be finalised, now is a great time to start thinking about stress busting ideas to keep things sanely on track.Firstly get enough sleep. Sleep is not just pleasurable it is essential and too little leads to lack of concentration, impaired mental functioning and of course those dreaded dark bags under the eyes. None of which are very helpful when you are planning your big event. If you are having trouble sleeping, try these simple tips to get you back on track:
- Your body likes routine (even if you don’t!). Aim to go to bed and get up at the same time every day and yes, even at the weekend.
- Avoid caffeine later in the day. Coffee is a useful pep-up for a flagging brain but no use if that late afternoon slurp keeps you awake all night!
- Sip a herbal tea such as chamomile or a specially formulated sleep tea an hour before bed. If tea isn’t your thing try a warm cup of milk or soya with a little honey.
- Lavender oil is a natural sleep inducer. Try a few drops on your pillow or invest in an electric aroma stone which can be safely left on over night.
- If you find yourself with a million and one thoughts running through your head as soon as you hit the pillow, write them down. Keep a notebook especially for the purpose and you can go to sleep happy in the knowledge that nothing will be forgotten by the morning.
Next on your list, eat well. The temptation for many a bride to starve herself in the run up to the ‘big day’ really is not a good way to ensure an effortless glide into that much loved dress. Neither is over-indulging in takeaways or comforting snacks in an attempt to ease frazzled, tired brains. Here are some top tips to help keep you healthy and nourished:
- If nerves or stress are getting the better of you, eat little and often rather than eating three larger meals. It helps maintain blood sugar levels and reduces anxiety.
- Eat a healthy balanced diet packed with fruit and vegetables to help you maintain weight and to support your immune efficiency.
- Prolonged periods of stress can really have an impact on your ability to fight off colds and viruses, eating well will keep those vital vitamin stores active.
- Keep hydrated. Although not strictly food, ensuring that you get enough fluids aids mental functioning, supports the bodies natural processes and keeps skin plump and radiant.
- Don’t eat too late in the evening, digesting food interrupts all important and much needed sleep.
- Keep a stash of good quality dark chocolate for those moments of really needing a sugary fix. Not only will get the chocolate hit with only a square or two but will also get the antioxidant benefits of high cocoa levels.
Finally, take some time out to rest and relax away from the day to day planning. Giving yourself space and time to think, breathe and just be for a while will re-energise and refresh. Try some of the following:
- Treat yourself to a regular aromatherapy massage before your wedding day. Aim to go at least once a month, twice if you have the time and resources. Some spas offer dual treatment spaces so you and your soon to be wed can take time out to relax together.
- Get out in the fresh air and get moving. Walk, run, cycle, play games or whatever you enjoy but make it regular. 2-3 times per week will help keep you in shape and clear the mind.
- Look after your skin. Regular facials are a great way to see lasting improvements in skin health and should be followed up with a supportive regime at home. Dermalogica salons house highly trained therapists who can tailor a treatment plan to suit. You can buy high impact Dermalogica skin and hair care products in salon or online.
- Don’t forget to be a couple! In between planning, working and all life's other commitments it’s easy to forget that there is life before (and after!) the wedding, Get snuggled up together on the couch with the Sunday papers or take a picnic and rug to the park for a quiet afternoon with each other. Why not head off to the spa for a weekend of relaxation and pampering or plan a weekly date night. Whatever you do just make is pleasurable and time just for the two of you.
Whatever stage you are at with your wedding plans, take time to sleep well, eat well and get some R&R, everything else will be a breeze!